Assistant Professor, Geology and Geological Engineering
- Ph.D., 2008, Geochemistry, The Pennsylvania State University
- M.S., 2006, Geochemistry, Colorado School of Mines
- B.S., 2000, Geology, Mesa State College
Research and Professional Experience
- 2012 – present Assistant Professor, Geology and Geological Engineering, Colorado School of Mines
- 2009 – 2012 Postdoctoral Fellow, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Colorado School of Mines
- 2008 – 2009 Postdoctoral Researcher, Geology and Geophysics, University of Wyoming
- 2000 – 2002 Geologist, Daub & Associates, Grand Junction CO
- 2000 Field Geologist, Colorado State Geological Survey >
- 1998 – 2000 Geological Intern, Walter S. Fees, Jr. & Son Oil & Gas, Grand Junction CO
Research Interests and Specialties
- Aqueous geochemistry including water-rock interactions.
- Interaction between fluid transport and mineral dissolution kinetics including the use of reactive transport modeling.
- Characterization of natural materials using multiple techniques including X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microscopy, various synchrotron techniques and electron microprobe analyses.
- Quantification of porosity using micro-computed tomography and small/ultra small-angle neutron scattering techniques.
- Extrapolating laboratory data to field systems.
- Wunsch*, A., Navarre-Sitchler, A.K., McCray, J.E. (in press) Geochemical implications of brine leakage into shallow aquifers, Ground Water.
- Navarre-Sitchler, A.K., Maxwell, R.M., Siirila, E.R. Hammond, G.E., Lichtner, P.C. (in press) Elucidating geochemical response of shallow heterogeneous aquifers to CO2 leakage using high-performance computing: implications for monitoring of CO2 sequestration, Advances in Water resources http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.advwatres.2012.10.005
- Atchely*, A., Maxwell, R.M., Navarre-Sitchler, A.K., (in press) Using Streamlines to simulate stochastic reactive transport in heterogeneous aquifers: Kinetic metal release and transport in CO2 impacted drinking water aquifers, Advances in Water resources http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.advwatres.2012.09.005
- *Bearup, L., Navarre-Sitchler, A., Maxwell, R., McCray, J. (2012) Kinetic metal release from competing processes in aquifers, Environmental Science and Technology, v. 46, n. 12, p. 6539-6547doi: 10.1021/es203586y
- Navarre-Sitchler, A., *Mouzakis, K., Rother, G., Dewers, T.A., Heath, J., McCray, J.E., (in press). Nano- to micro-meter scale characterization of pore networks in fine-grained rocks using electron microscopy and small angle neutron scattering. Microscopy and Microanalysis.
- *Siirila, E., Navarre-Sitchler, A., Maxwell, R., and McCray, J.M. (2012) A quantative methodology to assess the risks to human health from CO2 leakage into groundwater, Advances in Water Resources, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.advwatres.2010.11.005.
- Navarre-Sitchler, A., Steefel, C.I., Sak, P.B. and Brantley, S.L. (2011) A predictive model for weathering rind formation on basalt, Geochimica et Cosmochimia Acta, v. 75, 7644-7667.
- Kaszuba, J., Navarre-Sitchler, A., Thyne, G., Chopping, C., Mouzalaar, T. (2011) Supercritical carbon dioxide and sulfur in the Madison Limestone: A natural analogue in southwest Wyoming for geologic carbon-sulfur co-sequestration. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 309, 131-140.
- Navarre-Sitchler, A., Steefel, C., Yang, L. and Brantley, S. (2009) Evolution of porosity diffusivity during chemical weathering of a basalt clast, Journal of Geophysical Research-Earth Surface, v. 114, F02016.
- Navarre-Sitchler, A. and Brantley, S. (2007) Basalt Weathering Across Scales, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 261, n. 1-2, p. 321-334.
- Navarre-Sitchler, A. and Thyne, G. (2007) Effects of Carbon Dioxide on Mineral Weathering Rates at Earth Surface Conditions, Chemical Geology, v. 243, n. 1-2, p. 53-63.
- * Student author or co-author
- 2013 V.M. Goldschmidt Conference Geochemistry of Energy theme committee
- Co-convener of multiple special topics sessions at American Geophysical Union and Geological Society of America National Meetings
- Active member of American Geophysical Union, Geological Society of America, Geochemical Society, Mineralogical Society of America
- Peer reviewer for: G-cubed, Applied Geochemistry, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, Chemical Geology, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, Aquatic Geochemistry, IODP 301 Expedition Proceedings, NSF Career and Post-doctoral Grant Programs, American Mineralogist
- GEGN212 – Petrology for Geological Engineers
- GEGN598 – Chemical Modeling of Aqueous Systems