WE WANT YOUR CHALLENGES
Our search for engaging, real-world engineering projects never stops. Every year, Capstone Design@Mines hosts over 70 student design teams who need great challenges. We launch projects in January and August and are eager to work with a variety of organizations spanning industry, nonprofits, and government.
Have some project ideas? See below for an overview of sponsorship, then send an email to email@example.com to start exploring ideas with program staff today! What challenges do you or your organization have that could be addressed by Colorado’s next generation of engineering leaders?
WHAT MAKES A GREAT PROJECT?
Since this is the Capstone experience for our students, we are looking for projects with several key elements. A few of the most important ones include offering:
- a project with a broad enough scope to challenge a team of five students for two semesters,
- a challenge that allows consideration of multiple alternative solutions,
- a challenge that requires the students involved to directly apply their undergraduate course work, and,
- a project that will provide students with a positive and realistic professional practice experience.
For examples of great past projects, check out the Design Showcase program available on under the Design Showcase tab.
WHO MAKES A GREAT SPONSOR?
Our most successful sponsors contribute two essential items to our Capstone teams: time and mentorship.
Time commitment: Involvement of the sponsor is a key factor in the success of the project. Great project sponsors will commit one individual for approximately one hour per week to support the student team.
Mentorship: Capstone sponsors offer valuable professional mentorship to students naturally through the client-consultant relationship by challenging assumptions, celebrating victories, and offering insight and expertise at design reviews. In addition, any training, subject matter experts, or on-site resources that you can make available to the students are greatly appreciated.
FIRST STEPS TO BECOMING A PROJECT SPONSOR
We want Capstone Design@Mines to be a great experience for both our students and our project sponsors. To help clarify needs and expectations on both ends early, we ask project sponsors to:
- Compile a project “one-pager” that lists a brief overview of the project you envision and a list of deliverables you expect as an output. Click here for the template. You can find an example here for inspiration.
- Send your one-pager to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Consider attending a Capstone Design Showcase event prior to becoming a sponsor to learn what the students are capable of and to get a feel for the range of complexity and quality to expect from your team.
KEY PROGRAM DATES
Below are some important dates for the upcoming cycle of Capstone Design@Mines:
August 30, 2018 – Sponsor Project Expo at the Parker Student Center, 8am to 11am
- Although not required, attendance at the sponsor expo is strongly recommended to ensure sufficient student interest in your project. Please inquire about details of this event.
September 6, 2018 – Project Kickoff on the Mines campus
- Please hold 8am-11am on your calendar for the kickoff meeting with your assigned team. The students will contact you to arrange a time to meet for about an hour during that window.
PROJECT SPONSORSHIP FEE
Project sponsors support Capstone Design@Mines through a sponsorship fee of $5,000 per project. Up to half of the fee goes directly to your team for purchasing project materials. Capstone Design@Mines uses the remainder to support program facilities and community development projects.
Nonprofit organizations and public sector agencies are eligible for a reduced fee. Please contact us for more information.
BENEFITS OF PROJECT SPONSORSHIP
Our past and current Capstone sponsors report myriad benefits of engaging with a team of talented Mines seniors:
- Fresh eyes and minds focused on moving your project forward.
- Over 900 person hours dedicated to your project across 30 weeks.
- Great exposure on campus for your company’s brand.
- Mentorship opportunities with the next generation of great engineering minds.
- An up-close and in-depth way to meet students before graduation.
- Students have access to the facilities and world-class faculty at Mines.
Our team-building process pairs students with their areas of interest and their preferred project. Consequently, Capstone sponsors get to work with a group of engaged students with genuine interest in the company and its work.
STUDENTS AS CONSULTANTS
The most successful partners recognize that the Capstone Design program is primarily an educational program. They:
- Choose projects from their “nice-to-have” list and avoid having students on their critical path.
- Treat students like an entry-level engineer and plan on providing guidance throughout the process.
- View sponsoring a project as an outreach activity which helps train their junior engineers for management.
WANT TO KNOW MORE
If you would like to know more about the Capstone Design@Mines Program, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us using the information on the Contact page.